Application Procedure for CNS-Scholar (CNS-S℠) Credential
Application Procedure for CNS-ScholarSM (CNS-S) Credential
2. Arrange for submission of graduate or professional school transcripts, with evidence of degrees awarded, from the institution directly to CBNS. This comports with our policy of primary source verification.
3. Submit your CV detailing documentation of professional experience as a nutritionist.
4. Arrange for submission of two letters of recommendation from health care professionals familiar with your work as a nutrition professional. These letters must be submitted in accordance with the following guidelines:
a. They must be on letterhead that identifies the organization or entity the writer represents.
b. They must indicate the relationship the writer has with the applicant.
c. They must describe the type of work the writer has witnessed the applicant perform and provide enough depth to allow the CBNS Credentials Council insight into the applicant’s character, experience, abilities, and commitment to the field of nutrition.
d. They must be sent in a sealed envelope directly to the CBNS.
5. If the applicant is submitting documentation of the experience and scholarship, please include:
a. Documentation of a minimum of three years experience in the nutrition industry, research, academia, writing or clinical practice,
b. A minimum of five of any combination of the following:
1. Nutrition papers in peer-reviewed journals or trade journals
2. Nutrition chapters in textbooks or reference books
3. Non-professional nutrition books that are based on sufficient scientific research and have been reviewed and approved by the CBNS Credentials Council
4. Nutrition related patents; or
5. Comparable works of scholarship
6. Make payment of $50 for application fee, $300 for examination fee via the online payment form or include a check or money order payable to the CBNS.
7. Submit completed CNS-S Credential Application Form PDF Version, Word-Autofill Version and all supporting materials. (Transcripts and Letters of Recommendation must be sent directly to CBNS from the institution or writer.)
Best: Scan and email to office@CBNS.org or fax to (888) 712-1450.
Otherwise, mail to:
Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists
4707 Willow Springs Rd, Suite 203
LaGrange, IL 60525
8. Application forms, the nonrefundable application fee and all supporting materials must be received by CBNS no later than the application deadline.
Voluntary withdrawals (for any reason) will be honored until the refund deadline, and the examination fee of $300 (if paid) will be returned. No refunds will be made if CBNS receives notification after the refund deadline.